Do you know how to protect your security deposit?

When you move out, it’s a good idea to clean the unit, keep a copy of the condition report, and give your landlord your new address. There are steps you can take if your landlord refuses to return your security deposit. The first step is to send your landlord a letter asking for your deposit back.

You can use our free interactive Letter to Landlord. The letter comes with information on your housing rights and what you can do if your landlord refuses to give you back your security deposit or if you don’t agree with how much they return to you.
Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA) provides legal tips to help Montanans better understand their rights and find free resources. Follow us for more helpful information!