Fee Waiver Rights

Do you know what to do if you have an approved court fee waiver and are still charged to file papers?

If you cannot afford court fees, you can request a fee waiver using our free interactive form. This is also called a “Statement of Inability to Pay Court Costs and Fees” and it is how you ask the judge to allow you to file your paperwork without paying the fees. After you file the fee waiver form, the judge will review it to decide whether you have to pay.

When you go to file papers, it is possible that the Clerk of Court may not see your fee waiver form. You can remind the Clerk to check your file if they charge you to file papers.

There are times you will need to complete a new fee waiver form, for instance if it has been more than a year since the judge approved your fee waiver. You can learn more at MontanaLawHelp.org.

Need more help? MLSA provides free civil legal help to eligible clients. You can apply for free legal help by calling 1-800-666-6899 or applying online at MontanaLawHelp.org.

MLSA provides legal tips to help Montanans better understand their rights and find free resources. Follow us on Instagram and Facebook for more helpful information.